Work closely with the Senior Director of Corporate Communications to develop effective public relations campaigns, strategies and tactics that generate awareness of the Company’s transformation, services, products, programs and initiatives and help drive sales.
The position is also responsible for helping to position Office Depot executives as thought leaders, provide strategic external communications counsel to Office Depot’s senior leadership team, and improve and protect Office Depot’s reputation locally and nationally through proactive media relations, and reactive issues management and crisis communications.
1. Develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies that align/engage external stakeholders around Office Depot’s business priorities. Prioritize communications initiatives to focus on those that add the most value to the company, drive sales and build our brand.
2. Creates and implements comprehensive, integrated year-round PR programs to garner media attention in the form of print articles, television and radio coverage and online stories. Serve as company spokesperson where appropriate.
3. Generates media exposure for Business Solutions Division (BSD) activities through proactive media outreach. Lead media efforts targeting vertical trade publications. Publicize contract wins, customer awards, innovations, services and products. Serve as liaison with BSD team to launch new services and initiatives.
4. Manages media relations for retail activities including store openings, local store events, store closings, new formats, local market issues. Researches local market to obtain competitive landscape and relevant details and then crafts media responses as well as company positioning that is appropriate for that market.
5. Maximize opportunities for leadership engagement with external stakeholders. Work with senior level executes to draft appropriate message points and presentations.
6. Consult with management teams on strategic reputation initiatives and help manage crisis communications. Work with Customer Relations to craft responses to ongoing product and service complaints.
7. Manage vendor engagements to drive results and maximize return on company investment.
8. Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education & Experience
Level of Formal Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
Area of Study: Communications, Marketing, Business or related area of study
Years of Experience: Minimum 8 year experience in related field
Type of Experience: Must have experience managing a Corporate Communications function or PR agency
Technical Competencies: • MS Office, AP Style
Skills and Ability: • Writing, speaking, planning. Creative, innovative. Strong leadership, influencing. Flexible and agile, Prioritization.
Personal Attributes: • Confident, assertive and self-motivated; Detail and deadline oriented; Passionate, performance-driven and focused; Ability to handle stressful situations with poise
Other/Preferred: • Expertise in diverse communications disciplines, including public relations, media relations, corporate identity/brand management, executive communications, reputation management, issues management and crisis communications. Proven track record in developing and implementing strategic communications programs. Demonstrated ability to find innovative solutions to communications problems.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
Office Depot and Office Max offers competitive salaries, a benefits package, which includes a 401(k) and more, along with plenty of opportunity to move and grow within our organization! For immediate consideration for this exciting position, please click the Apply Now button.
How To Apply
Click the Apply Now button and follow the instructions on each page. When you have completed the application, click the submit button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Office Depot and Office Max is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
As the working world continues to evolve, so are we. Shifting from an office supplies retailer to a business services platform is not a simple task, nor is it one we take lightly. It requires the diverse talents and contributions from each and every associate – all driven by our 5C culture of Customer, Commitment, Change, Caring and Creativity. We’re working together to make a difference, challenge the status quo, and be the trusted experts that help our customers manage their businesses. We’ve got 40,000+ associates to date – and we’re always looking to add great talent to our team. The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform our company to fuel the businesses and communities around us is knocking. Start your #LifeAtDepot and discover how you can be a part of the transformation.