This is a 100% fully remote role. Work virtually from anywhere in the U.S.
Office Depot is a brand you've counted on since 1986 for your office supplies and business services, supported by a strong retail network and world-class technology platforms. As the business landscape continues to evolve, we are changing the way we look at our technology platforms to drive significant change in the way we do business. We're reinventing ourselves and making significant investments in our multi-billion-dollar digital platforms to drive growth in our range of B2B products & services. Apply today to be a part of this revolutionary change!
As a Sr. Front-End Software Development Engineer (SDE), you will be an integral team member of our innovative Product & Technology organization, contributing greatly to this pivotal transformation in the B2B space.
What You’ll Do
This position requires a seasoned Sr. Lead Development Engineer to help us reinvent our core business and drive the execution of our end-to-end technology solutions. In this role, you will create and innovate multi-disciplinary technical and functional solutions to unprecedented problems and devise solutions for the most complex and highest risk business situations. You will design, build and maintain high quality technology solutions that deliver an exceptional customer experience. Working as an integral part of an Agile development team, this role will require close and continuous collaboration to translate user stories and functional requirements into resilient & secure technical designs which will be implemented as production-ready application code using Java and/or Golang. Additionally, this position is responsible for the design and integration of all required Cloud IaaS & PaaS services including compute, database, messaging, object storage etc.
In partnership with engineering leadership, creates innovative, multi-disciplinary technical/ functional solutions to unprecedented problems and devises solutions for the most complex and highest risk business situations
Acts on own initiative and awareness of market conditions and technical innovations to provide solutions to problems before they occur
Translate user stories and functional requirements into resilient & secure technical designs; Designs, build and maintain high quality technology solutions that deliver an exceptional customer experience
In partnership with sr. development managers, guides the development team in overall application technology design activities; leads the identification and definition of key architectures, components and interfaces, design of data model and data/information flows
Maintains a detailed knowledge of current best practices and emerging trends within the technical architecture and application development arenas. Maintains awareness and understanding of relevant emerging technologies.
Understands and is proficient with company procedures for documenting new initiatives with complex business cases and detailed ROI models to gain IT, Business Unit and Executive Committee agreement and approval to proceed.
Education & Experience
- Level of Formal Education: BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related Engineering discipline.
- Area of Study: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience is required in the fields of designing, developing, and deploying large scale systems on multiple platforms
- Proven experience solving complex problems in a multi-platform systems environment
- Conceive, design, and create new tools, products, or processes in a deep specialty or as an expert integrator of systems to meet business needs
- Communication skills, collaboration skills, presentation skills and technical leadership skills
A mix of experience with these tools is preferred:
- Solid experience with Java (required), Golang (desired), Node.js (nice to have), Python (nice to have)
- Spring, Spring Boot, Spring MVC, Vertx, GraphQL
- Strong experience with Kubernetes (OnPrem and in the cloud) and Docker.
- Experience with API Gateways and service meshes.
- 5+ years of experience in public clouds – AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Experience in building a large family of APIs, circuit breaking, gradual degradation, with log aggregations, and monitoring.
- Experience in dealing with OnPrem infrastructure – compute, load balancing, network security.
- Extensive experience with container orchestration, building resilient scalable systems.
- Extensive experience in cloud computing, including basic compute, load balancing, elastic scaling, monitoring, data stores, and security.
- Solid understanding of modern User facing applications, with experience in React.js
- Experience with Bash, Ansible and Terraform.
- Proffered experience working with Kubernetes ingress controllers, Nginx, Traefik, Kong, Envoy.
- Experience with Java micro frameworks – Vert.x, Quarkus, Micronaut.
- Solid experience with JDK above version 8.
- Extensive experience working with several SQL and NoSQL databases, preferably PostgreSQL, MySQL, Couchbase, MongoDB, DynamoDB.
- Experience implementing solutions with ElasticSearch, Solr, Vespa.
- Experience with event streaming using Apache Kafka, Kinesis, Pub/Sub etc.
- Experience with multiple CI/CD tools.
Skills and Ability:
A solid command of these skills will allow you to be successful in this role:
- Analytical Skills: demands superior analytical skills; must be analytically capable of refining strategic, technical roadmaps and synthesizing to make improvements and recommendations. Relies on scientific findings in decision making, establishes relevant KPIs and routinely tracks them.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills; regularly required to make presentations to stakeholders, and must clearly present, articulate, and defend research findings, design decisions, and formulated strategies to the stakeholders in a way that they can relate to and easily understand.
- Interpersonal/People Skills: ability to facilitate smooth collaboration and relations necessary to be successful in this role; not troubled by complications, disagreements, and unnecessary delays. Ability to build trust among team members and convince people to follow him/her. Effective presentation skills. Exceptional relationship building skills required
- Leadership Qualities: Ability to continuously drive results, display a high level of confidence not just in self but in other people as well, inspire and motivate team performance. Demonstrate an ability to navigate complex situations and tasks with calmness and composure, setting an example for others. Ability to identify, attract, and develop team talent.
- Application Architecture Skills: Ability to architect and lead detailed design for a high volume B2B electronic retail platform. Provide overall technical leadership to multiple teams involved, achieve consensus and help resolve technical conflicts. Assist in all aspects of SDLC (including greenfield development, and rearchitecting the existing solutions) – build, deploy, troubleshoot, maintain etc.
- Hand On and Deep Dive Skills: Provide hands-on support in implementing critical components across the entire stack, from front-end, middle-tier, back-end, infrastructure and data stores to automation and scale. Provide expertise in at least two major public clouds, with the ability to compare and contrast their offerings. Should not shy away from hands on development, integration, deployment, testing and troubleshooting tasks based on the severity of the issue.
- Deep Understanding of Systems Limitations: Must have a solid understanding of network latency, topology and scale issues with the ability to design software and systems around them. Build for cloud native, favor open source. Consider all aspects of systems implementation – coding, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, testing (performance, integration, unit), improvement, technical debt, scale, cost, and security.
- Mentorship skills: Present solutions to large groups of technical staff. Maintain appropriate level of technical documentation. Evangelize best practices and processes, mentor other engineers, evaluate and recommend technologies to the teams. Foster collaboration.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
Office Depot and Office Max offers competitive salaries, a benefits package, which includes a 401(k) and more, along with plenty of opportunity to move and grow within our organization! For immediate consideration for this exciting position, please click the Apply Now button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Office Depot and Office Max is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.