This is a 100% fully remote role. Work virtually from anywhere in the U.S.
In this role, you will be responsible for all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle for a fast-paced agile development team, leveraging enterprise Java to deliver continuous enhancements for scalable, high performance e-commerce platforms. You will be responsible for hiring, coaching and managing engineering teams for one or more products consisting of 5 or more software engineers.
1. Partners with product managers, UX designers and researchers, technical architects, business owners, and testing teams
2. Assesses the business and organization implications of key application technology alternatives for wide-impact initiatives; Mapping requirement to a software solution in accordance with the overall architecture of the system; recommend appropriate strategic action
3. Guides the development team in overall application technology design activities; Grow the development team in terms of knowledge and understanding of the systems and best practices in software development practices. Overarching people management responsibilities include hiring, goal setting, performance management, coaching, and training & development. Fosters growth and skill acquisition.
4. Work closely with business partners and customers to understand their needs and provide appropriate solutions. Responsible for project estimation and put together execution plans
5. Manage project timelines and budget, responsible for application/system, including scopes, timelines, dependencies and deliverables; Assign work to resources and responsible for the allocation and movement of resources from project to project. Work with the team in the follow-up of the execution of the project
6. Participate in technical design review meetings that held cross different time zones
7. Be the point person for escalations and serve as the domain expert of the application/system. This is essential for on-call situations and escalations, as well as knowing the functionality and constraints of the system when defining product specifications
Education & Experience
Level of Formal Education: BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering,
Area of Study: Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Years of Experience: Minimum 10 years experience in related field
Type of Experience:
• Minimum 5+ years of software engineering management experience
• Minimum 7+ years in software development experience in increasing roles of technical leadership
• Communication skills, collaboration skills, presentation skills and technical leadership skills
Special Certifications: (CPA, Etc.)
Technical Competencies: Comprehensive SDLC experience including:
• Strong design skills – use of UML, patterns, OOA/OOD
• Agile implementation principles and practices, such as Scrum
• Knowledge of version control management such as SVN or Git.
• Testing frameworks such as Selenium.
• Production environment deployment and maintenance
• Experience developing in the cloud with AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud services
• Strong skills in Java, J2EE development and deployment architectures
•Experience management software development using java and related frameworks.
Skills and Ability: A solid command of these skills will allow you to be successful in this role:
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills; regularly required to make presentations to stakeholders, and must clearly present, articulate, and defend research findings, design decisions, and formulated strategies to the stakeholders in a way that they can relate to and easily understand.
• Interpersonal/People Skills: ability to facilitate smooth collaboration and relations necessary to be successful in this role; not troubled by complications, disagreements, and unnecessary delays. Ability to build trust among team members and convince people to follow him/her. Effective presentation skills. Exceptional relationship building skills required
• Leadership Qualities: Ability to continuously drive results, display a high level of confidence not just in self but in other people as well, inspire and motivate team performance. Demonstrate an ability to navigate complex situations and tasks with calmness and composure, setting an example for others. Ability to identify, attract, and develop team talent. Have demonstrated history of managing software development teams, especially managing e-commerce projects and using new technologies based on business needs
• Mentorship skills: Present solutions to large groups of technical staff. Maintain appropriate level of technical documentation. Evangelize best practices and processes, mentor other engineers, evaluate and recommend technologies to the teams. Foster collaboration.
• Have demonstrated history of managing software development teams, especially managing e-commerce projects and using new technologies based on business needs
• Exceptional business case analysis, planning, project management, and presentation skills
• Prior track record in building software development teams
• Experience with internationalization and localization
• Expert problem solver, experience in process improvement
• Experience with high-volume/high transaction e-commerce applications, has intimate knowledge of Internet Technologies and understand the latest changes and trends in this area of technology
• Persuade/influence team members, sell ideas effectively, get results and follow through
• Strong decision-making skills, and an understanding of where projects fit into development strategy
• Demonstrate integrity and maturity, and a constructive approach to challenges
• Operate independently given direction, set direction and bring ideas and solutions to issues raised.
• Works well in a team environment or individually, with a positive attitude.
• Superior communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
Office Depot and Office Max offers competitive salaries, a benefits package, which includes a 401(k) and more, along with plenty of opportunity to move and grow within our organization! For immediate consideration for this exciting position, please click the Apply Now button.
How To Apply
Click the Apply Now button and follow the instructions on each page. When you have completed the application, click the submit button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Office Depot and Office Max is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Office Depot, we offer our benefits around the 5 facets of Total Well-Being: Physical, Emotional, Work-Life, Financial, and Community. Here’s a look into what we offer:
As the working world continues to evolve, so are we. Shifting from an office supplies retailer to a business services platform is not a simple task, nor is it one we take lightly. It requires the diverse talents and contributions from each and every associate – all driven by our 5C culture of Customer, Commitment, Change, Caring and Creativity. We’re working together to make a difference, challenge the status quo, and be the trusted experts that help our customers manage their businesses. We’ve got 40,000+ associates to date – and we’re always looking to add great talent to our team. The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform our company to fuel the businesses and communities around us is knocking. Start your #LifeAtDepot and discover how you can be a part of the transformation.
Meet Phillip Rumpf, our Retail District Sales Manager in the Salt Lake City UT market. Phillip has been with Office Depot for 5 years now, and in that time, he has quickly advanced through our stores organization as a Customer Service Manager, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager and now as District Sales Manager.
The path to his current position has been challenging and rewarding and his leadership took the opportunity to develop him and encourage his ambitions along the way. As a Store Manager, Phillip was identified as a high potential leader and was selected for our “Blue Angels” program for leadership development which led to his current DSM role.
We’ve Got Whatever You Need, for Wherever You’ll Be
Get what your business needs, when you need it with Office Depot OfficeMax