This is a 100% fully remote role. Work virtually from anywhere in the U.S.
This position requires a seasoned and visionary Principal Engineer to help us reinvent our core business and drive the execution of our end-to-end technology solutions. In this role, you will create and innovate multi-disciplinary technical and functional solutions to unprecedented problems and devise solutions for the most complex and highest risk business situations.
1. Create innovative, multi-disciplinary technical/ functional solutions to unprecedented problems and devise solutions for the most complex and highest risk business situations
2. Serve as a credible expert advisor to executives on the use of current and future technologies for optimal impact on current and future business strategies and results
3. Advise functional leaders and executives as company’s highest-level resource for making strategic investments in applications, databases, technologies, systems, programs, or processes
4. Act on own initiative and awareness of market conditions and technical innovations to provide solutions to problems before they occur
5. Perform as company’s highest-level expert in 2-3 IT disciplines, platforms, technology, systems, or processes.
6. Primary influence to the highest levels of the organization on projects and initiatives directly affecting enterprise revenue and profitability
7. Maintains a detailed knowledge of current best practices and emerging trends within the technical architecture and application development arenas. Maintains awareness and understanding of relevant emerging technologies.
8. Primary responsibility for creating or expanding relationships with major vendors, suppliers, regulators, or other critical external organizations
9. Understands and is proficient with company procedures for documenting new initiatives with complex business cases and detailed ROI models to gain IT, Business Unit and Executive Committee agreement and approval to proceed.
10. Perform as company’s highest-level expert in 4 or more IT disciplines, platforms, technology, systems, or processes
Education & Experience
Level of Formal Education: Preferred BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related Engineering discipline.
Area of Study: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience in a related field. Graduate degree preferred
Years of Experience: A minimum of 15 years of experience in a related field
Type of Experience: • A minimum of 15 years of relevant experience is required in the fields of electronic retail designing, developing, and deploying large scale systems on multiple platforms
• Proven experience solving complex problems in a multi-platform systems environment
• Conceive, design, and create new tools, products, or processes in a deep specialty or as an expert integrator of systems to meet business needs
• Communication skills, collaboration skills, presentation skills and technical leadership skills
(CPA, Etc.) •
Language Skills: •
Technical Competencies: • Strong experience with Kubernetes (OnPrem and in the cloud) and Docker.
• Experience with API Gateways and service meshes.
• 5+ years of experience in public clouds – AWS, GCP, Azure.
• Experience in building a large family of APIs, circuit breaking, gradual degradation, with log aggregations, and monitoring.
• Experience in dealing with OnPrem infrastructure – compute, load balancing, network security.
• Extensive experience with container orchestration, building resilient scalable systems.
• Extensive experience in cloud computing, including basic compute, load balancing, elastic scaling, monitoring, data stores, and security.
• Solid experience with Java (required), Golang (desired), Node.js (nice to have), Python (nice to have)
• Solid understanding of modern User facing applications, with experience in React.js
• Experience with Bash, Ansible and Terraform.
• Proffered experience working with Kubernetes ingress controllers, Nginx, Traefik, Kong, Envoy.
• Experience with Java micro frameworks – Vert.x, Quarkus, Micronaut.
• Solid experience with JDK above version 8.
• Extensive experience working with several SQL and NoSQL databases, preferably PostgreSQL, MySQL, Couchbase, MongoDB, DynamoDB.
• Experience implementing solutions with ElasticSearch, Solr, Vespa.
• Experience with event streaming using Apache Kafka, Kinesis, Pub/Sub etc.
• Experience with multiple CI/CD tools.
Skills and Ability: A solid command of these skills will allow you to be successful in this role:
• Analytical Skills: demands superior analytical skills; must be analytically capable of refining strategic, technical roadmaps and synthesizing to make improvements and recommendations. Relies on scientific findings in decision making, establishes relevant KPIs and routinely tracks them.
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills; regularly required to make presentations to stakeholders, and must clearly present, articulate, and defend research findings, design decisions, and formulated strategies to the stakeholders in a way that they can relate to and easily understand.
• Interpersonal/People Skills: ability to facilitate smooth collaboration and relations necessary to be successful in this role; not troubled by complications, disagreements, and unnecessary delays. Ability to build trust among team members and convince people to follow him/her. Effective presentation skills. Exceptional relationship building skills required
• Leadership Qualities: Ability to continuously drive results, display a high level of confidence not just in self but in other people as well, inspire and motivate team performance. Demonstrate an ability to navigate complex situations and tasks with calmness and composure, setting an example for others. Ability to identify, attract, and develop team talent.
• Application Architecture Skills: Ability to architect and lead detailed design for a high volume B2B electronic retail platform. Provide overall technical leadership to multiple teams involved, achieve consensus and help resolve technical conflicts. Assist in all aspects of SDLC (including greenfield development, and rearchitecting the existing solutions) – build, deploy, troubleshoot, maintain etc.
• Hand On and Deep Dive Skills: Provide hands-on support in implementing critical components across the entire stack, from front-end, middle-tier, back-end, infrastructure and data stores to automation and scale. Provide expertise in at least two major public clouds, with the ability to compare and contrast their offerings. Should not shy away from hands on development, integration, deployment, testing and troubleshooting tasks based on severity of the issue.
• Deep Understanding of Systems Limitations: Must have a solid understanding of network latency, topology and scale issues with the ability to design software and systems around them. Build for cloud native, favor open source. Consider all aspects of systems implementation – coding, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, testing (performance, integration, unit), improvement, technical debt, scale, cost, and security.
• Mentorship skills: Present solutions to large groups of technical staff. Maintain appropriate level of technical documentation. Evangelize best practices and processes, mentor other engineers, evaluate and recommend technologies to the teams. Foster collaboration.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
The company offers competitive salaries, a benefits package, which includes a 401(k) and more, along with plenty of opportunity to move and grow within our organization! For immediate consideration for this exciting position, please click the Apply Now button.
How To Apply
Click the Apply Now button and follow the instructions on each page. When you have completed the application, click the submit button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.